Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sewing Projects And Then Some

I have been ready to post these pictures for some time, but I keep going back and working on some quilting projects that have been started since September, the 2009 Shop-Hop quilt for one.  I have been asked to show some of my "stuff" so for those that aren't interested in sewing, skip this blog!
 
This is called "Cheese and Crackers" and it is of 30's reproduction fabric.  I saw it and just loved the look of it.  It is more like a lap quilt.  No one in mind for this one.

 
This is "Cowpokes and Woolly Chaps" and the lady that quilted it for me, Laura, designed the quilting design for this quilt.  She put Cowboy's brand, S monogram S in it, but I had told her wrong and she wanted to fix it.  I said it was okay, as there were 16 brands to rip out and she was adamant...so it went back to her.  The results are following.

This is just a close up of the picture.  The next picture will have the brand.
Cowboy was pleased and they really turned out well.
This is a table runner I spotted in a quilt shop and picked up the kit.  I finally got it quilted and bound.
Striking comes to mind.
 
This was left over from the kit and of course, "waste not, want not."  Therefore I have a small table topper for a gift or one of the favorites...

 
My quilt group from Roundup, the Cross Country Piece Makers, is doing two different block-of-the-month blocks.  These are quite large and there will be one for every month to display.  You are looking at Jan. and Feb.  Many of us are using our scraps of material from other quilts.

This one is windy March.  Can't you see the kites flying with their tails swinging in the wind?  I can remember flying kites as a kid and I loved it.  We flew a few when the kids were little.  I wonder if they remember?...
I don't want to be left out, therefore, I signed up to do the "other" block-of-the-month club too!  I drew purple out of the "hat" so I was relieved as I have many purples.  These are the first two blocks.  

There are others too, that are doing both projects, and it will be fun to see the end results.  Our goal is the quilt show in 2011.  That gives us a little time to get it put together and quilted.
This is the third block done with two different colors.  I didn't think there was enough contrast in the left block, but with the picture it does.  Hummmm... I will have to decide which to use, so will keep them both for the time being.  I really like stars anyway, so am enjoying this.

Wayland wants a Mariner's Compass, that will be the challenge.  We need to find striking material!!  I told him it can't be a quilt just to throw around.  It will be one for the looking mostly...I think I need to teach him to quilt.  Ha!

Enough for now.


3 comments:

  1. I think Wayland would get into quilting, because it is precision work, and he is great at detailed, complicated tasks (that's what I have decided after reading his blog). Honestly, I don't know how you get so darned much done! All of your quilts are beautiful, and I just love the kite block--so whimsical! Now, I have to have a cup of coffee and sit a while, before I attack any of my projects (the machine is stacked). One last thing--aren't you glad you know how to sew? What would we do without it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Karen, I especially like the 30s Chinese and Checkers. Keep up the good work. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I should go to bed as I cant seem to read, maybe it is just old age...cheese and crackers in the 30s material..love it

    ReplyDelete