Sunday, September 5, 2010

Eventful Two Days!

Friday I was busy as a could be, but was having a little heart irregularity--that odd beat now and then.  I have had it for about 10-13 years.  It is called atrial fibrillation (I had to look up the spelling) and I can hardly pronounce it correctly. So I emptied a freezer, ate breakfast, did dishes, and took a bath which was extremely hot (I still was not feeling well), got dressed and decided to head outside and work on cleaning out the tomatoes, flowers, and sundry items that the deer are destroying!  I thought the fresh air and sunshine would make me feel better, which it did, I might add!!  I cleaned out some of the big pots I had them in and filled a wheel barrow with dirt.  Decided that that was enough of that and swept under the deck. 

I went into the house and got lunch ready for Phil and possibly Cowboy if he got done loading his truck with the LAST load of the grain.  By then it was 11 a.m.  I thought I would relax a little and then it hit me with full force, racing this time.  So I made myself clean the "now" defrosted freezer.  You know, someone needed to do it!!! 

Talked to my friend Leah and she offered to come and get me.  I told her no, I would catch my breath soon.  I called Grandma M. to come and put lunch on and then called Leah back and said, I need that ride, ASAP.  I am not going to pay for an ambulance ride. 

Grandma came bustling up and I told her there was corn, leftover potatoes to fry, and a roast in the oven.  She offered to drive me to meet Leah and I took her up on it.  By then we were both scared.  We met Leah at the highway and she couldn't drive fast enough for me.  I keep trying to calm myself down but I must have been taking too many breaths as when we got to the emergency room, I was like jelly.  Dan told me I was hyperventilating and to relax.  O K A Y...  He got started giving me some drug I cannot remember and probably not even spell.  I got there at 11:45 a.m. and about 3:30 p.m. he called a cardiologist in Billings who said I should be in Billings.  Dan got my blood pressure down, but the "a phib" was still going on and my pulse was still high.  It would go down and then go back up.  So, I got the ride in the ambulance anyway, and what wonderful care I got in at the ER and in the ambulance.  Dan thought it was a good idea for me to go too as I could get the tests done right away.

Cari got to the hospital right away and they had a room waiting when we got there. It was a circus trying to find it as they told us to turn here, turn there and just take the elevator...not real professional.  But Rex found it anyway! 

In the meantime Cowboy was having his own adventure, AFTER he loaded the freezer, took a shower after shoveling wheat, and grabbing a sandwich to eat on the way to Moccasin to unload the wheat.  BUT...as Paul Harvey Jr. said, "Now for the rest of the story...".  Anticlimactic, Cowboy won't let me tell it and it is truly worth telling.  So, if you really want to know, you have to call him or corner him when you see him.

My BP was low all night, pulse was good.  Tests Sat. a.m. were good.  Heart is normal, no blockages, treadmill test was good, they said they could tell I had been working on my walking.  I think they might have wanted to add "for your age" but thankfully they didn't. 

Before they turned me loose, the prognosis said everything looked GOOD, but they couldn't give me medicine as it would make my blood pressure too low.  I will have more of these episodes, but to document the episodes and there is a procedure that can be done, but not today.  I am to take aspirin daily, don't gain weight, EXERCISE, watch the stress levels. 

Thanks you God!  I felt the prayers and I am thankful that I had one of these that could be recorded because usually they go away before I get anywhere, and the Dr.'s would just look at me.  These won't kill me, but the clots they cause could give me a stroke if I don't do the aspirin.  That is an easy one to remedy.

Enough of that.  Rosie thought I should blog this.  It is pretty boring for some to read, but it is recorded.  Meghan wanted to fly out, but I told her it was okay. 

Now I am going to work on the stress aspect...ideas?  Exercise is a great one for that, but Farmer's Wife, I don't think my knees would take the running.

I forgot how noisy hospitals are, and the two times I was sleeping HARD, they came and took vitals... one at 12:50 a.m. and another at 4:45 a.m.  So needless to say, Cowboy and I slept really well Saturday night.

1 comment:

  1. Please take care of yourself! You actually crack me up. Here your heart is bothering you...so what do you do...you go and work outside! We might be related girlie!
    But in all seriousness...the heart is nothing to mess around with.
    Hugs and Love, and Prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete