Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Patriots and Flags

Flagpole erecting day--September 14, 2010!  He wanted it up by September 11th, but it just didn't get done.  Cowboy has wanted a flagpole for quite a few years.  He had the spot picked.  A little over a week ago he got the cement poured and mixed his cement in the wheel barrow.  It was work, and I didn't volunteer to help "stir".
Getting started...
Here we go...
Keep coming...
Cowboy is tightening the top, an eagle.  The eagle was BJ's idea and BJ also sent the flag.  As soon as it arrived my veteran and I had to fold it correctly, I was a brownie scout (many eons ago) after all.  On top of that I worked for the United States Postal Service and flag duty was one of my jobs.  I am sure you are so interested in that!  On to the story at hand...
Joe is in the bucket, Phil is going to guide the pole, Amy is supervising, and Bill is in the tractor...
Phil is saying to raise the pole a little higher.  They had to put the chain over to the left of the bucket instead of in the middle.
Let's try it one more time...
The bucket is as high as it will go and the "teeth" are opened to get more height.  I had a knot in my stomach and prayers on my lips as they were doing this.  Joe said, "the thing is, just don't look down."  It seems to me he is looking down.  Did I ever tell you I am afraid of heights?  Well I am telling you again!
It is in the hole, but not down completely, having a "conference".


Joe went back to the ground and then back up again to paint the "dings".  Cowboy mentioned how beautiful the sky was as we previewed the pictures.  You just can't beat a Montana "Big Sky"...
Hanging the flag...  I couldn't help but think of those jokes, "How many men does it take to hang a flag?"  I get to hear soooo many blond jokes!!
A few minor adjustments to the rope...
Bill hanging the flag...
Just one last loop.  It is catching the breeze...  Thanks to the idea from BJ and the kiddies chipping in to buy the eagle for Bill, maybe the flag too.  I could not raise anyone this morning to get the facts, so I will make them up as I go!
Cowboy wants to do some finish work around the base with rocks.  Looking at the picture I still get a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.  We are a patriotic family, God has blessed our country and we are so thankful for our freedom.  The Lord knows everything that is happening and everything still belongs to Him.  It is on loan to us to take care of to the best of our ability.

I salute you, Old Glory! 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for coming by! And yes...I did even sell some of my quilts. I have a ton seeing I had a quilt shoppe for 6 years.
    You guys look like you keep pretty busy on your ranch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome! I had no one idea how much work it takes to put up a flag pole. Of course, Cowboy does a perfect job of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...thanks sweetie. And yes....Quilting Friends are the best. It was quite a send off. We are now in Houston doing Festival. Tomorrow is the last day. I'm pooped! Demoing all day...and show hours are 10-7!!
    We head to Nashville on Monday.
    Have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete