Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Baking Has Begun

Cookie Day has been set for December 11, 2010.  Pray for good weather for all to travel.  I put the butter on the counter to soften and I did the treadmill this morning.  I like the treadmill as it is in front of a big window and I can listen to books on tape.  I listen to murder mysteries and it keeps me on my toes! Ha!  I have this monologue in my head just about every time I get on the treadmill.  "You only have to do 30 minutes."  After 30 minutes I say, "You can go a few more minutes."  Here lately I have been going 45-55 minutes.  I like how I feel when I am done and also the reason I walk more is the book is to a "good part."
I have the cutest cookie cutters and it seems like I don't use them near enough.  Naturally I have been trying different sugar cookie recipes since we started cookie day seven years ago, and this one is very soft.  I will do a different one next year.  We will have to drizzle these as the grandies will have them broken before they even start.  Of course, they could just eat them!
Even raw they look good enough to eat!

The finished product, ready to be put in the freezer awaiting decoration
.
Now this is the way to do cookies.  I was to make a log approximately six inches long and make it square and then chill for at least one hour and cut with a sharp knife.  Now girls, don't make fun of my tape measure.  I wanted to get my cookies cut about 1/4 inch and wanted a guide.  A couple of our girls are "just do it," right Jen, Mary, and Meghan?  Remember I am the girl that follows a pattern  and a recipe, although I "tweeked" the sugar cookie recipe.  It needed some flavoring...but they do have real butter in them.  That is an inside joke for those of you not reading Cohagen Chronicles.  The Farmer's Wife was told by her Aunt, Rosie O'Grady, to always use real butter.  So there you have it!
These are called Glazed Chai Shortbread Cookies.  They are very spicy and I had one little to try.  Cowboy told me they were good.  I always like cookies.  They have to be pretty bad for me not to like them.

I have some sewing projects done, but I haven't taken any pictures of them.  I will get to it. 

Don't forget to make some Christmas cookies for those loved ones.

3 comments:

  1. Awww I wanna come over!! Those cookies look so great. I like your idea of being on a treadmill and listening to a book on tape. Any favorites I should know about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey--those sugar cookies are good enough to eat raw. If it wasn't so darned far I would say, "To heck with school and be there." Have fun and I will pray for decent weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WAS going to give you a hard time about the tape measure! Makes me laugh that you got so edgy as to tweak the sugar cookies! How naughty...

    We're excited to get there. Baking and stirring at this house, too!

    ReplyDelete