Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bonfires and Sled Dogs

I am wondering if anyone is reading this.  We really do live for the comments.  But that is beside the point right now.  I am going to finish my story of "Cookie Day" and the weekend in general. 

After the cookies were divided up, it was time to load up with chain saws, mittens, coats, caps, and pile in the pickups.  I bought marshmallows, but Cowboy told me there wasn't any way to roast them as the wood would all burn, so I left them home...mistake number one!
 Before we got the "folks" loaded up, the kids had to have some fun in the snow with a calf sled that Mary and Wayland brought over.  They had a lots of fun going off the hill.
First tree for Wayland and Bill to cut...

Oops!  Mistake #2 or not.  The tree fell the wrong way.  Do you see why I was on the backside of the pickup??  There were plenty of dead trees.  They just went to another one.


It hung up in one of the other trees.  We did go back and get it later.  Well, not me, but I supervised!
TIMBER!!

Wayland had cut this piece of wood and BJ brought it over so Angus could get warm by the fire.  Children never really sit still, look at his hands.



It even has a backrest.  Perfect!  But Angus asked me where the marshmallows were...I was sad!!  I should have listened to the little girl inside of me and brought the marshmallows!

A blazing fire...pickups loaded with wood for Grandma Margaret...together...what fun.  We weren't even really cold.

What is more blessed that having grandies come and pile on your bed first thing in the morning!  Mary decided that she would like to be included in the sleepover so Wayland went home to take care of pets and chores.  Jennifer blew up the bed for the kids downstairs and Jen was on the couch to make sure ALL were safe.  Mary woke up really early as did we, but we thought everyone was sleeping.  We should have made early coffee!

I don't have pictures of the funniest happening of the day.  BJ finally told the kids to go outside and hook that husky (which was Tristin's dog, Trey) up to the sled.  Tristin did and the brave princess Maggie was the first to take a ride.  We are all in the living room looking out the picture and Whew! did that dog take off and Tristin did not put a lead on him so she could control him.  He flew.  Maggie was brave! Poor Angus was tailing up the girls and falling in the snow.  Even Tristin fell trying to catch the sled! Trey went to one hay stack and then another hay stack and then through the cattle guard (thankfully it wasn't a barbed wire fence).  By then we told Mary to jump in her car with a leash and she and Tristin better get that dog stopped!  It was hilarious to watch since no one got hurt and they all got rides.  I think that dog could have gone all day.  I told Tristin she ought to invest in an harness for that him.

Many days after the fact, I found some green frosting stuck to something.  Imagine that?!

3 comments:

  1. I read but rarely take time to comment. Thats bad of me I know. Great pics by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading!!!
    My favorite picture is you and the grandies in bed.

    And Cookie Day is my favorite holiday. Period.
    And it's OURS!

    ReplyDelete