Sunday, August 9, 2009

Montana Pioneer Women

We gave the tour of the homes in the banks. One is cut out of a bank of dirt and the other one out of a bank of dirt and rock. It makes me so VERY THANKFUL for the house I do live in. Pioneer women had to be brave and strong and many more adjectives that I can even think! We like to show visitors these places and it is such a reminder of how far we have really come in 100 years!

The first top picture shows the chimney and this picture shows the room. The roof has caved off and so the depth doesn't really show, but I am such a sunshine person, what in the world could it have been like to live similar to animals. This woman was a mail order bride. Her husband dug coal there for a living. The legend goes that he took her shoes away but one day he had to be gone. She walked to the Ingomar Road which would have been about a 10-mile walk and caught a freight wagon to Ingomar and got on a train. Did they raise the funds for her to go home there in Ingomar? Did she have a wee small stash hidden to be able to get away? Was she very young like many brides of that time? Was she frightened? Did she have family to go back to? What in the world did they eat when she lived with this man? The story continues that he went after her but never caught up with her. I alway like the happy endings so I am cheering for the bride!!
Here is a picture of the other "house." This one appears to let one stand up inside. My Cowboy didn't recommend going inside and he mentioned snakes, soooo...just a peek in the door.

We are such brave young girls! We peeked around the door and it looks like there is another room back there. There still are no windows... It makes me wonder how long this bride and her groom stayed in this home of stone.
It is a beautiful view from the doorway south. This is looking west. I should check with the Cowboy since I do get my directions tangle up.

Once again I am so thankful for running water and all the many comforts we take for granted. My Texas cousin and I have been going through papers and pictures for long ago--back to Great Greats and forward. Their life wasn't easy but they came "west" to make a life for their families and here we are...thank you God for their perseverance!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard about these platial dwellings, but it is cool to see the pictures. I can't imagine! Hope you're having a blessed Sunday! I'm home alone with no kiddos... time for a soak and a pedi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father took me to these two places. I loved going and hearing the stories. I missed that summer event. We would stop off on the way to or from branding. Funny to think I was just wondering how it looked after a few years of being there. Wonder how many other places have gone completly away with no signs? Thank you for taking me on tour with you.
    Nicole G.

    ReplyDelete