Sunday, September 20, 2009

Shop Hop Craze for 2009

Every September is the Trail of Fabric Shop Hop. This is the eighth year and it runs from one Saturday until the next Saturday. There are four quilting shops: The Plaid Square in Glasgow, The Bent Pin in Williston, ND, Quilts & More in Sidney, and the The Enchanted Room in Glendive. This year some of the girls are going on Tuesday and I was unable to go that day. I asked a couple of friends if they wanted to go to Glendive and on to Sidney on Saturday afternoon. So...five of us made a quick trip.

I have only gone twice and it is a LONG DRIVE. It is a 490 mile round trip for me to all four shops starting at Glasgow and ending in Glendive. By the time we get to Glendive who wants to spend any money or look at any more fabric!! I have done three of the shop hop quilts (I sent money one year!). They do NOT post the quilts as the draw is to get you there!! It works, I think it makes money for these shops!!! Quilts & More told us that they had over 100 women come on Saturday and that is just the first day!!
This year's blocks to buy (we buy three at each shop) are the Bear Paw blocks. All the blocks will be Bear Paws in different variations. The completed one quilt with all twelve blocks at The Enchanted Room is beautiful and the completed one at Quilts & More is striking. One of the girls is picking up the other blocks from the other two stores for me on Tuesday.

I try to at least get the blocks completed fairly soon because sometimes there is not enough material in the packets or (heaven forbid, I don't measure twice and cut once!), so it best to get them done ASAP.
I am always on the lookout for flannel as it is my standard gift for baby showers. They get a double sided large flannel receiving blanket. The two pieces on the left are for one of those and the pieces on the right are for a small flannel baby blanket (girly!!).

Naturally, since I didn't go on the Shop Hop last year or make the quilt blocks I had to buy SOMETHING! I have an envelope that I write on the front "Fabric Stash" and when I get a little money I put it inside so I have some for fabric. Last year I tried not to buy much other than backing as I have several projects to complete FIRST!!! I had a little money in the envelope and it was burning a hole! Ha! I think I am going to quit getting quilt magazines as there are so many beautiful quilts...so little time...

Anyway, the fabric above caught my eye. It is just out and hasn't been posted on the website for The Enchanted Room. It is a Moda fabric line. I love the colors!!! I saw the pattern made up in different fabric which was pretty but wasn't for me. The big squares are called "Layer Cakes" so I am off and running with a new quilt running around in my head. I may not get to it for several months...I have aprons to make but that is a different blog altogether!!

Speaking of aprons, there are oodles of patterns out there and I saw the cutest aprons on our adventure.

There is so much to see that it does become brain overload. You simply can't take in all the quilts, runners, purses, wall hangings, etc. that are made up.

One thing that sells are kits!!! One of the ladies said they just didn't have time to make up some of the newer fabrics into something fun. I forgot my camera or there would have been more pics.

3 comments:

  1. I need the name of your vitamins! Just the driving alone is enough to wear a person out. The workmanship in all these quilts is amazing, and doing the ones for the veterans is so nice. Can't wait to see the quilt from your new fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, what is the name of that new Moda pattern - I really like it, especially the pink and brown one at the bottom left. Also, we still love and use our baby blanket!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Bear Paw is one of the best blocks....I can just see the bear standing with all claws out! And I know it must be one of the hardest to piece, with all the triangles.

    I'm glad you got to go on the "Tour de Fabric" and it's fun to see the new fabrics you bought!

    ReplyDelete