Friday, September 25, 2009

TO KNOT OR NOT

At our ranch Cowboy is particular about knots. Does this remind you of anyone you possibly know? Little did I know that "granny" knots were out and square knots are in for the simple reason the granny knots pull out. When I thought I was making square knots, sometimes they weren't and I was really trying to go right over left and left over right...

I have been known to stomp away from a gate that "might not" be tied right and was re-tied. I keep trying because I am not THAT blonde!
This one is not tied as the horses seem to leave it alone.
This gate is tied. The last time Bill was gone to Roscoe I was in charge of "horse" chores. I asked about the gate and Cowboy said it would be fine they were leaving it alone... I always seem to have "here is the rest of the story" story, don't I? I went down to the barn one morning and sure enough, the horses that were to be out were " in" eating hay and the horse that was keep his knee from getting too much activity, and his buddy were "out" in the pasture. It took several deep breaths and swinging gates and they were back where they belonged and I managed to tie a square knot!
My Joe is the culprit! He can open gates and he looks so innocent! And what a charmer he is!

They get a few oats, cake or whatever Cowboy has on hand. So they are always at the gate for an easy catch as was the case this morning!

One more special knot is making sure the end of the rope on the halter itself is tied so it goes back toward the back of the horse and not in the eye as demonstrated! Ace is a cupcake.

I just had to throw in this picture. Amy and Tiggy always go to the barn with Bill. Tiggy thinks she is a horse kitty and she can water with the horses too! She likes to walk the top rail and make sure things are just right.

1 comment: