Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cowboy Cooking for Cowboys!

November 8, 2009

The cowboys are coming the cowboys are coming! We had lots of roast beef left over, they were coming on Saturday to be here at noon. I had to be in Billings at a yearly meeting for the weight group that I work for so... we decided that barbecued beef would be the order of the day for Saturday. Friday night was the time to make Cowboy's special sauce.
And he cooks too! How blessed am I?? Actually this one was a joint effort as I chopped all the onion and garlic.

Ingredients to add. Now Farmer's Wife, you know that this has my stamp on it because everything is measured!! Cowboy told me that he measures "some" of the stuff.

Finished product and ready for the oven. I have to tell you I had some when I got home Saturday evening with a tossed salad and it was delicious. Rosie O'Grady told me I should probably put the recipe with this post. This recipe is out of the NATIONAL COWBOY HALL OF FAME CHUCK WAGON COOKBOOK.

COWBOY BARBECUE SAUCE

2 tablespoons bacon grease or vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup tomato catsup
1 cup bottled chili sauce
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Hot red pepper sauce to taste
Makes about 2 cups.

1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. (Bill likes to cook it more.)

2. Stir in the catsup, chili sauce, sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often to prevent sticking, until slightly thickened, about 45 minutes. Season with hot sauce to taste. (Cowboy leaves out the hot sauce)
(The sauce can be made up to 5 days ahead, cooled, covered, and refrigerated.)

Cowboy has tried other B-B-Q sauces, but keeping coming back to this one. He did a double batch and all we have left over is a short quart.

3 comments:

  1. You're right. He's a keeper!
    That is very, very good sauce and I'm glad you included the recipe. When Dad makes beans, however, I don't think he measures anything and they turn out wonderfully.

    And it makes me chuckle, that the Cowboy's daughter is the Farmer's Wife...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Cowboy, how I wish I was there because you are one good cook. You need to get your own cooking blog going. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be trying this one myself... haven't found a real keeper yet, this may be it!

    ReplyDelete