Saturday, October 10, 2009

Iron Man or Iron Men!!!

This is about my "favorite" son-in-law. But, alas, as I was pondering my post, I realize I really have four "iron men" in my life: my Dad, my Cowboy, my son, AND our son-in-law!! They all do and/or have done iron work at one time or another. Cowboy tells me that "really, I could do that for you if I had time..."

I have to take a side trip about "favorite" anyone. I heard a story once about a grandmother who told all of her grandchildren (each in private, of course!) that they were her "favorite." She said, "I know you will do great things in your life." I loved that story. Lo and behold, one day Cowboy and I had a message on our machine from "our favorite" daughter and on it goes.

Now back to my story...I have always liked iron "stuff" and started taking pictures of the things Wayland has made. I didn't realize how many things I had brought with me that have significance. This blog is probably going to be two as I have so many pictures!!
Meghan found the sewing machine on the ranch at Melstone. Who would know how long it had been throw away. I put it in a flower bed there and I have taken it with me when I moved, as well as the iron wheel. A friend was trying to find my house north of Billings and her son told her that they were in the RIGHT place as there was Karen's sewing machine!

The intricate iron work is the arm from a church pew, the tea kettle is iron and works well for flowers or whatever I decide for the summer. The "squatty" piece is the bottom off of an old heater and flower pots fit it nicely! I have put them in their winter spot so I can shovel the snow from the cement pad when the snow flys.

The angel I bought when I was in Billings and it has a place in one of my flower barrels.

The bucking bull with cowboy also adds to one of my flower barrels.

This particular item was at Lemonade Springs south of Melstone, up in the sand rocks. Meghan took a picture of it many years ago. Cowboy was kind enough to get it gathered out of the rocks and hauled to our ranch. It leaned again the fence three years (maybe more, as the years seem to be whirling by!). I tried to get "favorite" son-in-law to do something with it. He is meeting himself coming and going so I knew that he really didn't have time...but I did ask anyway.

I took it to Bobi In Steel and asked her to make a potter's bench out of it. She had it done late summer and Cowboy said..."I could have done that...and for a lot less money...!"


This is one of the first gifts from our "favorite." Maybe the bird bath was first, but it will be on the second part. It is a quilt stand. I love it! I love the thoughtfulness of having it made for me. Wayland decided it might be too big as he had never made one before. I have used it for flowers during the summer and am trying to figure out how to put more flowers on it.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment